Detroit Red Wings Primary Logo
Owner James Norris chose a winged wheel as the team's logo, a nod to Detroit's growing reputation as the heart of the automobile industry. Norris decided that a version of their logo was perfect for a team playing in the Motor City and on October 5, 1932 when the club was renamed the Red Wings.
1949 - Present
With the name Red Wings came a logo that has stood the test of time and represents a perfect fit with the Motor City. The crisp, clean, detailed, yet simple red and white look has only been modified a couple times in team history and not since 1949. The Red Wings now famous logo features a red wheel with a wing attached to it.
1933 - 1948
Norris and Adams took inspiration from the Montreal winged wheel logo and used their own version for their newly named Red Wings team. The red logo is of a automobile wheel with two wings coming from the center of the wheel.
1931 - 1932
Trying to change their fortunes, the Cougars name was changed in 1930 – 1931 to the Detroit Falcons. The logo is a simple wordmark “DETROIT” arched over “FALCONS” in yellow with red trim.
1927 - 1930
The final logo for the Detroit Cougars consists of the carrier over letter Old English white “D” now on a red shield. The letter “D” stands for the city of Detroit.
At first, the Detroit NHL team was named the Cougars after they purchased the players of the folded Victoria Cougars team. The logo consists of an Old English red “D.” The letter “D” stands for the city of Detroit.