New York Rangers Primary Logo
The New York Rangers are fortunate to have the aura that comes along with being an Original Six franchise. The Blue shirts have made very few tweaks to the original team logo used in their inaugural season of 1926 - 1927.
1979 - Present
From 1978 to the present day, their current logo has used a couple elements of the past and added a softer blue to their third logo of this style, while basically remaining true to the previous version.
Sports Logo Case Study #9—the Lost Uniform Years of the New York Rangers
The New York Rangers are in the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in 20 years. The Rangers' on-ice identity has been steady and consistent since they first laced up their skates in 1926. Inspired by the color of the team's sweaters, the Rangers have long been known as the "Broadway Blueshirts—" this reference from the New York Times dates back to their second season, 1927.
The Rangers have worn their iconic uniforms featuring a diagonal representation of the word "Rangers" since their very first game on November 16, 1926. There have been but three seasons where they broke away from this look. In 1946-47 the Rangers became the first team to to regularly televise their home games. In a move seemingly designed to coincide with this, the team wore uniforms featuring an arched "Rangers" over player number. These lasted but a single season. And, in 1976, the Rangers streamlined their look in a big way, placing their primary shield logo front and center for the first time in team history.
1969 - 1978
From 1968 – 1978, their logo’s wordmark had a thinner font, the white space in the outer border was reduced and the overall shield looked slightly more narrow. Still the wordmark “NEW YORK RANGERS” in white and in the same positions.
1954 - 1968
From 1953, there’s been even less change to the Rangers’ logo. The team abandoned the “RANGERS” in red lettering from 1953 – 1968, and returned to a bolder blue and red color for the shield. Also the wordmark “NEW YORK” in white on the top.
1948 - 1953
The Ranger’s third logo from 1948 – 1953 was the most radical departure, but that was only because it was widened, thickened with an outer blue border, and had the wordmark “RANGERS” colored in red. The wordmark “NEW YORK” in white on top.
1936 - 1947
The Ranger’s second logo, which was used from 1935 – 1947, had a bolder blue color added to it. The wordmark “NEW YORK RANGERS” in white in the same positions on the shield with a red section is the shield.
1927 - 1935
The Rangers initially owned by George Lewis “Tex” Rickard, boxing promoter and president of Madison Square Garden, had their logo designed in part to differentiate from the rival New York Americans, who’d began playing at the famous arena one year sooner. Whereas the Americans’ logo spelled our their name horizontally, Rickard’s Rangers would begin their existence by spelling out their team name diagonally. A wordmark “NEW YORK RANGERS” in white on a light blue banner background.