The wolf image appeared on shirts in the early Seventies, apparently jumping over the club’s initials. Official club blazers from the early Sixties and team pictures from the mid-Seventies also show three wolves on the run. A wolf’s head soon became a single-minded theme from the beginning of the Eighties, from time to time slightly modified with either the addition of banners, the club’s full name and foundation year or the initials FC.
Sports Logo History thanks you for visiting our logo site. If you are using any of our logos for news, blogs, flyers, posters, or social media graphics, please give credit to SportsLogoHistory.com.
2002 - Present
In 2002 with a new approach in squad and ownership the club relaunched with a simplistic new crest harking back to the 1970s whilst becoming one of the most recognizable crests in English Football.
1996 - 2002
The next major change came in 1996 was a re-work to include the club’s full title along with lone wolf’s head. The wolf’s head stayed the same, but the surrounding design changed drastically. Added is a wordmark “WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS” on both sides of the wolf’s head now boxed in geometric shape in black and orange with the initials “FC” on either side of the wolf in white with black highlights.
1993 - 1996
The coat of arms reappearing for the 1993 season with an updated design. This design has all the features of the original coat of arms including the wordmark banner below the shield “Out of Darkness Cometh Light.”
1988 - 1993
In 1988, the Wolves added a shield to their mark. Above on a white banner is the wordmark “WOVERHAMPTON WANDERERS” in black and below is another banner “FOUNDED IN 1877” in black. Centered on the shield is the now-classic wolf’s head on split shield of orange and white.
1979 - 1988
Since 1979 the badge has consisted of a single “wolf head” design, this simplified wolves head has been the basis of the crest to this day. Added the wordmark “WOLVES” in black on an orange background.
1974 - 1979
In 1974, the Wolves added two more leaping wolves leaping on top of each other all in black on an orange background.
1970 - 1974
In the 1970s, Wolves introduced their own club badge consisting of a single leaping black wolf over two-letter “W” stacked on top of each other in black.
1921 - 1939
The first such badge to be worn on Wolves shirts was the coat of arms of Wolverhampton City Council. The club adopts the coat of arm as their official crest which carried the motto “Out of Darkness Cometh Light.”