Since then, the West Ham United FC logo has gone through a series of around 15 transformations. They involved both the shape and, to a smaller extent, the color scheme.
All the main nicknames go back to the old name of the club – Thames Ironworks, as well as hammers, depicted on the emblem. Emphasizing the importance of the club in the formation of the national team, the fans nicknamed West Ham as a “football academy.”
Sports Logo History thanks you for visiting our logo site. If you are using any of our logos for news, blogs, flyers, posters, or social media graphics, please give credit to SportsLogoHistory.com.
2016 - Present
In 2014, the Premier League club West Ham marked the move to the Olympic Stadium with a new emblem. Based on the traditional club colors, the new West Ham logo has a simpler and more streamlined form. The iconic image of the hammers is located in the center of the emblem and painted in golden color. Double-lined arched wordmark “WEST HAM UNITED” in white and below the hammers “LONDON” in white.
1999 - 2016
In 1999, the West Ham emblem was significantly redesigned and updated by the London-based design agency Springett Associates. The fortress became yellow and wider with fewer cross-shaped loopholes. Also, the peaked ends of the towers disappeared. Designers changed the shape of the hammers, edging, and other small details in order to give the logo more solidity. A banner with an arched wordmark “WEST HAM UNITED” in white on maroon with a blue background.
1987 - 1999
In 1987 West Ham United went back to a former design from 1983 and added a new color of red. The castle in yellow with white crosses and the criss-cross hammers on a red background. Below the shield is a blue with yellow trim banner and the wordmark “WEST HAME UNITED F.C.” in yellow.
1983 - 1987
Back to simple, in 1983 changed to just the criss-cross hammers in white and initials below “W.H.U.F.C.” in white on a maroon background.
1980 - 1983
A new coat of arms look for West Ham United. New design for the castle, now in yellow with white crosses and the criss-cross hammers. Below the shield is a blue with yellow trim banner and the wordmark “WEST HAME UNITED F.C.” in yellow.
1975 - 1980
New look for West Ham using a maroon circle as the background. A newly designed white castle is centered with a light blue criss-cross hammer.
1968 - 1975
The new shield has a white with red trim castle and criss-cross hammers. Below the shield is a white with a red trim banner with a wordmark “WEST HAM UNITED F.C.” in red.
1965 - 1968
Bringing back a former shield shape from 1964, however with a new wordmark. Below the castle and hammers wordmark “E.C.WC. WEMBLEY 1965” in white.
1964 - 1965
The shield design changed and added is a castle and wordmark. Light blue background with a blue with a maroon trim castle is centered with criss-cross hammers. Wordmark below “WEMBLEY 1964” in maroon.
1963 - 1964
In 1963, West Ham drops the light blue color and change back to the shield design. Maroon criss-cross hammers again are centered on a white background.
1958 - 1963
In 58′ West Ham’s emblem made only slight changes. The maroon trim has been shortened, to not be around the edges. The criss-cross hammers are featured on a light blue background.
1952 - 1958
In 1952, the shield design change to a badge shape shield. Continuing with the same colors and hammers.
1950 - 1952
The 50′ to 52′ emblem’s shield design was changed. The criss-cross hammers are featured on a light blue background.
1923 - 1950
It was in 1923 that the team adopted its current name, West Ham United, and a logo with the two crisscrossed hammers that have been present on the crest. The hammers emblem was inspired by the team’s nickname, the Hammers, which was derived from the hammers used by shipbuilders.
1895 - 1923
The original crest was based on the flag of the UK. Above the flag is the initials “TIW” in white and “FC” below the flag.