Starting from when they changed their name from ‘Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic’ to "AFC Bournemouth," for the very foresighted reason that they’d be first in any alphabetical list of English clubs (ahead of Aldershot, Arsenal, and Aston Villa).
It was in 1972 that a player’s head and a football appeared on the crest. This emblem, with slight modifications, has been the core of the logo ever since.
2013 - Present
In 2013, we get an updated version of AFC Bournemouth’s crest. Now with a classy looking shield with the continuation of football and the player’s head in black and white on a red and black background. Above the football is a golden wordmark “AFC BOURNEMOUTH” across the top.
1988 - 2013
Bringing back the version from 1974 of the similar shield, football, and players’ head. Added below the shield is a white with a black trim banner with a wordmark “AFC Bournemouth” in red.
1983 - 1988
The simplified continued in 1983 with changed versions on a shield, football, and the players’ head. Added a red background and removed the circle and initials.
1981 - 1983
During the 1980s the crest design shortly featured two intertwined cherries and a black and white football, Bournemouth having earned this nickname due to the colors of their kit, and Dean Court originally being built next to a cherry orchard.
1974 - 1981
In the 1974 version of Bournemouth’s crest became simplified by adding initials “AFCB” and circle border. The design of shield, football, and the player’s head stayed.
1972 - 1974
Today’s crest was first used starting in 1971 and resembles an animation of a player’s head and a football. The silhouette is that of Dicky Dowsett, the former striker, and commercial manager of the club who was instrumental in dropping the Boscombe suffix and the design of a new identity.
1966 - 1972
As the Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic FC, the logo became a simplified mark with the scripted initials of “BFC” in a white diagonal pattern on a red background.
1936 - 1966
The Bournemouth coat-of-arms was granted as the club’s first crest and was used from 1936 until 1966, as a white and red shield.