The Logo History of the Watford Football Club had been originally inspired by the crest of its home city, Watford, Hertfordshire, England. During their history, the club developed a few designs that last several years such as the badge with initials and of course the current design of the dear head on black and yellow.
Sports Logo History thanks you for visiting our logo site. If you are using any of our logos for news, blogs, flyers, posters, or social media graphics, please give credit to SportsLogoHistory.com.
2001 - Present
The latest Watford emblem changed the font on the wordmark again and used the previous emblem’s red deer’s head on a black and yellow section with red outline.
1982 - 2001
In ’82 Watford changed the font size on the wordmark “Watford” and redesigned the deers head. Continued with the two sections in black and yellow with a red outline.
1979 - 1982
In ’79 Watford changed the font on the wordmark “Watford” and kept the deer’s head on a black and yellow section.
1978 - 1979
In 1978, a new era started in the history of the logo. The emblem featured the head of a red deer inside a stylized shield divided into two fields, red and black. The word “Watford” was placed above and initials “FC” on both sides of red deer.
1974 - 1977
A cartoon version known as ‘Harry the Hornet’ appeared in 1974 but proved unpopular with the hornets faithful and was soon lost to the archives.
1972 - 1974
On the 1974 logo, an anthropomorphized hornet could be seen. The badge featured a hornet above the letters “WFC.”
1968 - 1972
In the later part of the 1960s the club brought in a brand new circular design, with the focus pushed to a roaring hornet. The initials “W.F.C.” in black arched around the hornet.
1959 - 1968
Back to the original shield from 1927, with initials “WFC” in yellow on a black shield on a yellow background.
1958 - 1959
1957 saw the arrival of a blue shield, in it a hart and the initials “W.F.C” in white above the banner with wordmark “WATFORD” in white on a blue background.
1950 - 1958
A shield with a side view of a deer’s head above the initials “W.F.C” in black with a football below.
1927 - 1950
A white shield with black trim and initials “WFC.”
1898 - 1927
The first emblem Watford has been unofficially associated with is in fact the coat of arms of Watford Borough Council. The wavy blue and white lines are intended to represent the River Colne and its banks. The gold escallops were taken from the arms of the Earl of Clarendon, Watford’s first Mayor. The fasces or bundle of rods with an ax in the center denote magisterial authority and the Roman station said to have been at Watford. The gold cross on blue is from the arms of St. Albans, the greater part of Watford having at one time belonged to the Abbey of St. Albans. The harts represent Hertfordshire. The motto is Audentior and means “Bolder”.