At the end of the 1937 - 1938 season, Everton secretary Theo Kelly, who later became the club's first manager, wanted to design a club necktie. It was agreed that the color be blue, and Kelly was given the task of designing a crest to be featured on the necktie. He worked on it for four months until deciding on a reproduction of Everton Lock-Up, which stands in the heart of the Everton district. The Lock-Up has been inextricably linked with the Everton area since its construction in 1787. It was originally used as a bridewell to incarcerate mainly drunks and minor criminals, and it still stands today on Everton Brow. The Lock-Up was accompanied by two laurel wreaths on either side and, according to the College of Arms in London, Kelly chose to include the laurels as they were the sign of winners. The crest was accompanied by the club motto, "Nil Satis Nisi Optimum", meaning "Nothing but the best is good enough"
2014 - Present
An updated version of the crest was used for 2013/14 but this proved unpopular with supporters so a wide-ranging consultation exercise was undertaken which resulted in the production of three new crests.
These were put to a fan vote and the current crest was the overwhelming winner. It was introduced formally in July 2014.
Therefore, in 2014, the management kept a promise and changed the emblem to a new-old design. The name of the club and the year of its foundation were moved to the middle of the shield, under the tower. The emblem was made in a two-color version (blue and white).
2013 - 2014
May 25, 2013, Everton announced the change of logo, but in two days, more than 14 thousand fans signed an online petition asking the leadership not to touch the emblem. The new logo lacks the club’s motto, which had been represented there since 1938, as well as a pair of wreaths, the long-standing symbol of Everton. The leadership of the club gave credence to their fans and in several days announced that this emblem will be used only for one season. The reason for such a decision is that the new version had already been put into production.
2000 - 2013
In 2000, following the trends of contemporary design, the club changed some colors and added a wordmark. Also, added the year of the club formation “1878,” dividing it into 2 and placing on both sides of the shield. In addition, the wordmark “Everton” appeared under the motto of the club.
1991 - 2000
A white with a blue trim shield with the tower centered and on either side is the laurel wreaths in blue. Under the shield, there was an inscription in Latin “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum”, which means “Only the best is good enough.”
1983 - 1991
Everton’s next crest has letters “EFC” in blue above a slightly reshaped Tower and laurel wreaths in yellow.
1982 - 1983
In 1982, a simplified, circular design was produced, with the shield and the Latin motto removed. In yellow are the tower and two laurel wreaths with an arched wordmark above “EVERTON” on a blue with white trim.
1978 - 1982
In 1978, came the return of the Tower. This was the first time Kelly’s design had been used on the kit and it remained for four years. At the top of a white with blue trim, circle background is a wordmark “EVERTON F.C.” in blue. Under the shield, there was an inscription in Latin “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum”, which means “Only the best is good enough.”
1976 - 1978
Here is the simplified version with custom font for the 1976 emblem “EFC” letter in blue.
1972 - 1976
There was no crest of any type on the Everton jersey until 1972 when white ‘EFC’ letters were simply embroidered onto the shirt. This lasted for four seasons before a simplified font was introduced instead.
At the end of the 1937 – 1938 season, Everton’s secretary Theo Kelly, who later became the head coach of the club, decided to design a new club logo. In Everton, the district of Liverpool, you won’t find a building older than the Prince Rupert’s Tower, built in the late eighteenth century. Therefore, designers decided to put this image on the club’s emblem. Near this, they added two laurel wreaths, enclosed in a shield, symbolizing victory. Under the shield, there was an inscription in Latin “Nil Satis Nisi Optimum”, which means “Only the best is good enough.” For the first time, Everton’s logo was demonstrated in 1939.
The first official Everton logo was introduced in 1920. It consisted of interwoven custom font “EFC” letters in white color, which were located on top of the shield with a blue with a white trim background.