The Philadelphia Athletics started the process of moving from one coast to the other coast. However, they were in Philadelphia for 53 years before making the move west. The Athletics use 9 different logos and only three were of the typical baseball logo of a letter. In 1902 New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A's with contempt, by calling them "The White Elephants." He meant to imply that Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Connie Mack took up the gauntlet and defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia. The other logos were of course an elephant.
The final logo for Philadelphia Athletics is a white with blue outline elephant standing on a baseball with three legs. The elephant is holding a bat in it’s trunk. On the elephant’s back is “A’s” in white on a orange background. The baseball and elephant are on a orange diamond.
1939 - 1953
The 1939 logo featured a detailed black line drawing of an white elephant, holding a baseball in it’s trunk. With an emblem of “A’s” in white with a red background.
1930 - 1938
New design of the mascot elephant, now in white with a light blue thick outline. This elephant is on all four legs.
1928 - 1929
Back to the old english style letter “A” in light blue with a white and blue outline.
1924 - 1927
Another drawing of an elephant, now is white with black trim. Again on his hind legs.
1921 - 1923
New artist rendering of the an elephant up on his hind legs. Now in a lighter blue color.
The 1920 logo featured the first drawing of an elephant as the logo, done in the color dark blue.
1902 - 1919
In 1902 the Athletics changed to an old english letter “A” in a dark blue.
The original Philadelphia logo was a block letter “A” in the color blue.