The Stamford Bridge Tale - Chelsea’s Brief History
England is the birthplace of football and CasinoGap website focused on GamStop customers admits it. It is also the region where the primary outlandish stories of this beautiful sport were born and among these is that of what we know today as the Blue Lions of Stamford Bridge, Chelsea Football Club. Chelsea is one of the most prominent British football clubs, which was founded on 10 March 1905 at The Rising Sun Pub (now The Butcher's Hook) in Fulham Road by Henry "Gus" & Joseph Mears (The two most notable businessmen at that time). Chelsea FC is one of the most auspicious representatives of English Football and has spent most of their playing time in the top English Premier League.
The Blues had their first major achievement in 1955 when they won the league championship. They then won various cup competitions between 1965 and 1996. The club's greatest period of prosperity has come during the last two decades; winning 21 trophies since 1997. Chelsea has won five English league titles, seven FA Cups, five League Cups, and four FA Community Shields, one UEFA Champions League, two UEFA Cup Winners' Cups, one UEFA Europa League, and one UEFA Super Cup. Chelsea is the only London club to win the UEFA Champions League, and one of four clubs, and the only British club, to have won all three main UEFA club competitions.
Logo Evolution - Chelsea’s Crest
Chelsea FC 1905-1952
Chelsea's crest or logo has been changed around 11 times during the clubs' existence with the first Chelsea crest being used for almost 50 years from 1905-1952.
The first Chelsea FC crest was introduced when the club was established in 1905 and although the club didn't use the logo on their shirts, their crest started showing up on match-day programs.
The first Chelsea logo featured one of the famous "Chelsea Pensioners". The man portrayed in the logo is a veteran of the "seven years war" between England and France who wears a jacket with 4 medals of honor and the initials "CH" on the hat. The logo is inspired by one of the symbols of Chelsea, the Royal Hospital Chelsea. Chelsea's first nickname also derives from "pensioner", the pensioners. There is a double version of the first crest of the company: the simplest is blue on a white background, while the second is more articulated with the name of the club in full. It will last almost 50 years, before the aesthetic revolution of 1952.
The 1952-53 season will be remembered as Chelsea's first crest revolution. Ted Drake, one of the best footballers of the 1930s, becomes the club's general manager and the first operation he puts into practice is a drastic rebranding. The "Chelsea pensioner" is retiring again, superseded by a coat of arms consisting of the initials "C.F.C" on blue background. It only lasts for a year and never appeared on the shirt, exactly like the former logos.
In 1953 the Chelsea logo began a new life, completely different from the previous two. From 1953 until 1986, the club crest was changed to an upright blue lion looking backward and holding a scepter, as if looking over the team's back. It was based on elements in the coat of arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea with the “lion rampant regardant” taken from the arms of then club president Viscount Chelsea and the staff from the Abbots of Westminster, former Lords of the Manor of Chelsea. It also featured three red roses, to represent England and two footballs.
Chelsea FC 1986 - 2005
After 33 years the corporate structure of the London team changes and the ownership passes from Earl Cadogan to Ken Bates, one of the most controversial figures in the English football scene due to conflicting relationships with the fans. He bought the club and given Chelsea's enormous economic difficulties. The transition from Cadogan to Bates is also the transition from the rampant lion to the roaring lion. In fact, from 1986 to 2005, 5 chromatic versions of the logo will alternate, perfectly identical from the point of view of style but with different shades and backgrounds. A peculiarity lies in the latest version of this crest.
A new coat of arms in honor of the club’s 100 years anniversary was created in 2004. Features a blue heraldic lion holding a scepter surrounded by a blue ring with two yellow white-trimmed footballs and roses. The blue ring also includes the arched wordmark “CHELSEA” at the top and “FOOTBALL CLUB” at the bottom in white with yellow trim.
This brings us to 2003-04, the year in which the era of Roman Abramovič begins, the Russian millionaire who for the centenary (2005) decides to comply with the requests of fans and re-establish the 1953 logo. Two years later, Chelsea changes face again, formalizing the transition to a stylized version of the rampant lion. The "restoration" has produced what we see today, a logo that is made up of 5 parts: the base, the blue circle, is the emblem of the Chelsea neighborhood; the lion once again recalls Stamford Bridge and Earl Cadogan; the walking stick, the symbol of the Abbot of Westminster; the roses and the footballs, symbols of England and the English Game; the sign that reads "The Chelsea Football Club".
The Chelsea logo includes blue, white, yellow, and red colors – a combination, which expresses energy, elegance, excellence, and perseverance.
Sports Logo History is a community of sports logo enthusiast who enjoys the history of each team’s logo history. Sports Logo History has primary logos, alternate logos, wordmark logos, or concept logos from the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL, Premier League, WNBA, CFL, NCAA, ABA, USFL, AAF, and XFL.
Our partner site is Sports Team History takes a look at the history of each and every professional sports team. In addition, we have added Sports News History to our sports history websites. 24/7 non-stop sports news that's worth knowing. Finally, the premier sports team marketplace for your favorite team or college with thousands of items for you to peruse at Sports Market History.